Skip to main content

If reality is only what our brain perceives, how can we prove anything is truly real?

 Reality cannot be only what our brain perceives because the finitude of all our claims demonstrates the opposite.

Is ‘true for me’ true? If it were, it would not conflict with another truth claim. If it is said there is no conflict because ‘true for me’ is true, then there is conflict. If I say ‘this is sweet’ is true for me, and ‘this is sour’ is true for another, and there is no conflict between the two claims, it should be asked whether true for me means the same as true or not. If it doesn’t, then that implies true-for-me and truth are not identical; if it does, then there are two contradictory truth claims, and that means ‘true-for-me’ and truth are not identical. What is real is also objective - applicable across subjective perspectives.

If I run into a thief who believes it is right to murder me for money, and if I think I should not die, but if I also believe that he is right from his perspective to think so, then I am going to die. Can I, however, think that I am right to defend myself, and he is right to try to kill me, and so I am entitled to defend myself? Can both perspectives be equally true? The fact that I defend myself shows that I limit or oppose the actions of the thief, which I cannot do if I think he is right to do what he is doing. Even if I say both perspectives are valid, my actions would betray me because I have resisted his perspective against mine.

To live in a shared world is to live in a shared reality, and this reality allows me to exist and flourish as a finite human being while also limiting me vis-à-vis others so that I do not and cannot trespass my finitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ramanuja and Nimbarka

  The primary question for any Vedanta philosophy is what is the relation between Brahman and the world and Brahman and the individual souls. Nimbarka takes this relation to be one of identity and difference. He gives the analogy of a coiled snake and of sun and its rays. Brahman is both immanent and transcendent; the souls and matter are really just the different manifest states of the one Brahman. The concern with such a philosophy is to show that the immanence of Brahman does not compromise its unity and the impurities that accrue to the soul and matter do not thereby affect Brahman. Ramanuja believes that this is not possible in the Bheda-Abheda system (his criticisms of Bhaskara would with certain modifications apply also to Nimbarka). The reason is identity and difference cannot be affirmed simultaneously of the same object. Identity is an absolute relation or in the logical terminology of Nyaya it is a locus pervading relation. In terms of Modern Logic identity is a reflexiv...

SCHOOLS OF INDIAN THOUGHT – PART 1 – RAMANUJA’S VISHISTHADVAITA VEDANTA

  SCHOOLS OF INDIAN THOUGHT – PART 1 – RAMANUJA’S VISHISTHADVAITA VEDANTA APRITHAKSIDDHI : The central concept of VisishtAdvaita Philosophy is that Brahman alone is organically related to the soul (chit) and matter (achit) and is the ultimate reality. Chit and Achit are absolutely different and yet inseparable from Brahman. Though these two entities draw their very existence from Brahman. Brahman is independent of them just as the soul is independent from the body but remains the inner controller of both chit and achit. This relationship of inseparability is called Aprithaksiddhi. Empirically we find that a substance and an attribute though different yet are related to each other inseparably. Take for example a blue jar. The jar is different from the colour blue but both are referred to in the judgment, “This is a blue jar”. Perception reveals them to be identical but yet they cannot be identical, for jar is certainly different from the blue colour and not all jars are blue nor...

On The Concept Of Person In Indian And Western Philosophy - Part 1 - Intelligence

The primary difference between the two approaches lies in this that Indian philosophers that do believe in the existence of a soul, do not only hold that we have a soul separate from the body but that the soul can exist without any physical or mental attributes altogether. An example is the Advaita Vedanta school and Sankhya school that holds the Soul to be of the nature of pure consciousness and on the other hand schools like Nyaya and Vaisesika that even though do not subscribe to the view that soul is pure consciousness, still believe that soul is a substance that can exist without the quality of consciousness and will. On the other end of the spectrum, even those who do deny the existence of the soul like Buddhists, even among them some like Yogacara school believe in pure consciousness even though they do not believe in a soul. To be clear the concept of a person is composed of two elements, one unity of consciousness and second, the substratum of desire and volition i.e. a person...